South Carolina could ban the sale of energy drinks to minors following the death of a 16-year-old student linked to a high amount of caffeine, CBS News reports.
Last year, high school sophomore Davis Cripe had a “cardiac event” and collapsed after drinking a large soft drink, a latte and an energy drink in a short period of time, later dying at a hospital.
“You worry about their safety, their health, especially when they start driving, but it wasn’t a car crash that took his life, instead it was an energy drink,” Davis’ father, Sean Cripe, told Fox Carolina. “Parents, talk to your kids about the dangers of these energy drinks.”
“I think there needs to be some limitations on these energy drinks because at certain high levels, they can definitely cause some side effects and especially if they’re mixed with other drugs, caffeine pills, Adderall, Vyvance or alcohol, they can be deadly,” Dr. Christian Montagano, a doctor at Emergency MD in Greenville, told Fox.
State Representative Leon Howard has since introduced legislation to outlaw the sale of energy drinks to anyone under the age of 18. Violating this law would carry a $50 fine and a misdemeanor charge.
“We treat it just like we do alcohol. In the state of South Carolina, a kid can’t walk into a store and buy a beer or buy cigarettes,” Howard told CBS.
He told Fox Carolina: “The recommended amount for caffeine in children is really less than a cup of coffee a day, less than 100 milligrams per day, which would be your average cup of coffee.”
© 2018 Newsmax. All rights reserved.